Carpet cleaning tips – something that many homeowners and businesses can tackle.
Like all other cleaning chores, the key is maintaining your investment, whether it be marble counter-tops, hardwood floors or you wall-to-wall carpeting. A routine vacuuming is always a great way to keep dirt and dust and pet hair from embedding deep into the carpet and creating a dingy and unhealthy environment. Whether you are a do-it-yourself person or are planning to hire someone to give your carpets a good professional cleaning, spring is the perfect time to tackle this job!
Spring is the time of year when allergies and air-quality is an issue for allergy suffered and people who have breathing problems. There is an abundance of pollen in the air, on the trees, in the grass and allover surfaces outside. We track all of these contaminants inside our homes as it sticks to our shoes and clothes and even hair. The same way a good rainstorm can reduce pollen levels outside by flushing them off of surfaces, a good carpet cleaning can thoroughly flush them from your carpets. So breathe a sigh of relief – we have some tips that can give you a good idea of whether it is time to get your carpets cleaned and also what to do to start the process yourself. Questions? At Angelo’s Carpet Cleaning, we answer your phone call personally and will be happy to provide you with an estimate.
How to Tell if Carpets Need to Be Cleaned
Your carpets are in need of a cleaning if:
- carpet odor : your carpets have a musty odor that just can not be freshened and continues to get worse despite vacuuming.
- carpet urine odor : your dog or cat has had accidents on the carpet that you tried to clean but never lost that urine smell, or worsen when humidity happens.
- carpet stains : your carpet has stains that you tried unsuccessfully to get rid of.
- carpet traffic stains : over time your carpet has taken the beating of many people walking on it using the same route. Darker areas start to show on the carpet that are too large to spot clean.
- older carpets looking dingy : your carpet has been there for you for a long time. You can’t remember when the carpet last had a good cleaning but overall it looks greyed out or appears dusty and dingy.
- pet hair on carpet fibers : your carpet has a layer of pet hair and pet dander entangled within the fibers, making it dirty and affecting your allergies.
Next Steps – Carpet Cleaning Tips 101
- It is much easier to remove as much clutter and furniture from the room as possible. Get boxes to store smaller items and if you can manage the weight of that couch or table, then moving it is the best way to go!
- Your vacuum is your first line of defense – make sure the bag is empty and start to vacuum the room. It is important to vacuum thoroughly, taking multiple passes and also switching your position and getting the carpet clean from different angles.
- At this point you may have bought a cleaning solution at the store, make sure to test a spot on the rug to make sure that the solution does not bleach or stain your carpet. This is extremely important to do. Take a white cloth and dampen it with the mixture and apply it to an area that may be hidden or inconspicuous such as under the couch or in a corner. If the towel still looks bright white and the carpet looks the same color, you are good to go.
- Use the cleaning solution and make sure to follow the instructions very carefully. Don’t use too much of the cleaning solution and cover the entire carpet.
- As you come upon a visible stain or spot, it is important to hand scrub these areas.
- Once done, make sure that any furniture that was left in the room has no cleaning solution on it. You can use a damp cloth to remove solution from legs of chairs or the base of furniture or any air grates on the floor.
- Make sure to clean solution from the wooden or marble or metal threshold at the room’s end. Walk off onto a towel and make sure not to track wetness in any other rooms.
- It may take a while for your carpet to dry and it is best to stay out of the room until it has thoroughly dried. You can open up windows to increase ventilation in the room and it may help to brush the nap of the rug to “fluff” the fibers. A fan can also help!
- Do not put furniture back in the room until it has had time to dry. It is also a good idea to use plastic under metal or wood legs of furniture to prevent rust stains or water damage to wood.
Carpet cleaning can not only add value to a home but it can increase the life expectancy of your carpets and make the air you breathe safe and healthy. If you are up to the challenge of cleaning your own carpets, we hope these tips can help. If this looks like a lot of work and you would rather go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather, we are here to help and make a big chore as simple as a phone call! Call us at: 610-935-7557 or visit our carpet cleaning service page to order service online.